Markt Entwicklerstudios, Publishers und ihre Kuriositäten.

needcoffee

VIP
Thread-Ersteller
Seit
28 Dez 2008
Eigentlich wollte ich den Thread "Entlassungen und Firmenschließungen" um die Thematik von Kuriositäten, Eigenart, besondere Merkmale etc. rund um Entwicklerstudios und Publishers erweitern, denke aber ein neues eigenes Thema ist da eher geeigneter. :)

ku­ri­os
Wortart: Adjektiv
Worttrennung: ku|ri|os

Bedeutung

- auf unverständliche, fast spaßig anmutende Weise sonderbar, merkwürdig
----- Beispiele
* ein kurioser Vorfall
* auf [eine] ganz kuriose Art
* er ist ein kurioser Kauz
* die Unterredung ist kurios verlaufen

Synonyme zu kurios
absonderlich, befremdend, bizarr, eigenartig, eigentümlich, kauzig, komisch, merkwürdig, seltsam, sonderbar, spleenig, ungewöhnlich, verquer, wunderlich; (gehoben) befremdlich; (bildungssprachlich) exzentrisch, skurril; (umgangssprachlich) abgedreht, schrullenhaft, schrullig, überdreht, überkandidelt, ulkig, verrückt; (österreichisch umgangssprachlich) gschupft; (salopp) irre; (abwertend) verschroben; (umgangssprachlich, oft abwertend) schräg; (norddeutsch) überspönig; (besonders süddeutsch abwertend) spinnert; (veraltend) eigen
... und das alles kann im Zusammenhang mit Entwicklerstudios und Publishers in diesen Thread diskutiert werden. :goodwork: Los geht's es mit 4A Games; Entwickler der Metro-Serie:

Metro Redux Devs Had To Smuggle PS4/Xbox One Dev Kits Due To Ukraine Crisis

"It’s frightening times for the guys, they were very involved in the protest. I told them to keep their heads down once the bullets started flying around and thankfully they did. They really wanted to be a part of this progressive movement and change, it’s still quite frightening times in Kiev and there are headlines coming out of Ukraine everyday and we don’t know what is going to happen. It is an extra ordinary set of circumstances and they work under anyway without all of this stuff going on,” Huw Beynon, Global Brand Manager for 4A Games, said in an interview with The Escapist.

"Just to give you an idea of how they are working. We have to smuggle dev kits in hand baggage. You can’t send anything by courier to Ukraine, you will be stopped by customs and they will charge you any figure they like.”

"We are building the PS4 versions on two devkits, one of them I personally took in for myself. We are trying to get the Xbox One dev kits out to them but we could not cause all of this kicked in November-December and we actually got them in January this year once things calmed down. It gives you an idea of the challenges that the team is facing," he explained further.

@gamingbolt.com; @escapistmagazine.com
Ab 4:09 ...

[video=youtube_share;E7CDJIzc7BE]http://youtu.be/E7CDJIzc7BE?t=4m10s[/video]

Schon damals bei der Entwicklung von Metro: Last Light bot das Entwicklerstudio 4A Games einige Kuriositäten an:

The entire 4A studio would fit easily in the (underutilized) gym at EA Los Angeles' offices. Yet Last Light's Metacritic score blows away Medal of Honor Warfighter. As undeniably fantastic as competitor BioShock Infinite may be, the team was given whatever resources they needed to make the title. At the same time, 4A's staff sat on folding wedding chairs, literally elbow to elbow at card tables in what looks more like a packed grade school cafeteria than a development studio.

When 4A needed another dev kit, or high-end PC, or whatever, someone from 4A had to fly to the States and sneak it back to the Ukraine in a backpack lest it be "seized" at the border by thieving customs officials. After visiting the team I wanted to buy them Aeron office chairs, considered a fundamental human right in the west. There were no outlets in the Ukraine, and our only option was to pack a truck in Poland and try to find an "expediter" to help bribe its way down to Kiev. We gave up not because this tripled the cost, but because we realized that the wider Aeron chairs would require spreading out people and computers, which would lead to extra desks, and that ultimately would have required bigger offices. Yes, really.

All developers have deadlines, but I know of few that had to bring in construction generators to be able to work the weekend before final submission because an extra day meant missing shelf dates by weeks. Montreal is cold, but when it gets cold in Kiev it's different. That's because the government provides all of the heating through a central coal burning facility that pipes hot water to homes and offices. Unfortunately, it breaks down reliably a few times a year for a week at a time. Then 4A works in their parkas and struggles to keep their fingers warm in temperatures well below freezing. That is unless it snows and they get stuck home for a few days at a time because snow clearing isn't up to Western standards.

@gamesindustry.biz
Der Kauf von Metro Redux ist bei mir schon fest geplant. :goodwork:

20 years of PlayStation: the Ridge Racer revolution
Digital Foundry revisits the PS1 game-changer - and talks with its developer. | Eurogamer.net

"We needed to develop the game from scratch in order to match with performance of PlayStation 1," notes Sakagami. "Ridge Racer for PlayStation 1 was actually developed by the arcade team. After Ace Combat and Final Lap R development, I joined the Ridge Racer team. We had a really friendly atmosphere within the team and always talked about how we could develop [a] better game."

"Of course, it was not easy. Considering the hardware, we needed to develop the game from scratch. The most difficult thing was to provide the experience that you are really driving a car, since Ridge Racer [in the arcade] was a real driving experience with steering, pedal, seat and so on," Sakagami says.

The Ridge Racer experience is defined by its insane, brilliant drifting model. Without access to a steering wheel controller (something Namco would later attempt to address with the JogCon), the developers had to adapt. Perhaps it's the limitations of emulation, but the arcade Ridge Racer doesn't drift like the home version at all. It feels much safer, easier - less dangerous. This fundamental component would be revised across later Ridge Racer titles - drifting effectively in the original PlayStation release is brutally hard - but the work began here in 1994 and it's surprising how well it still holds up 20 years later.

"Considering the fact that this was our first development for PlayStation and the development period was only six months, we could not take a risk and decided to have a locked 30fps," Sakagami says - but the full 60fps experience was never far from the thoughts of the Ridge Racer team. "Ridge Racer with 60fps was included into R4-Ridge Racer Type 4, as Ridge Racer Hi-Spec version. It was actually what we wanted to do for first Ridge Racer on PlayStation 1 and I was very happy that we could do it with the R4 release."

But despite the many compromises, Ridge Racer looked and played like nothing else at the time. There must have been a point during development where the game started to come together, where the team must surely have realised that it was developing something special, something genuinely game-changing.

"It was the moment when we first saw the game play on an actual TV screen. We didn't finalise the UI and detail at that time but we all realised that this game would be very interesting," Sakagami replies with some degree of modesty.

Now, it feels as though the series lies dormant. Both the Vita version and its 3DS stablemate lacked the magic and both saw a downgrade to 30fps, while the latest Ridge games have been mobile games - a logical progression in some ways, but not quite the final fate we envisaged for a revered franchise. Some might say that the series had run its course on the home consoles, but in our view there's always a place for a new Ridge Racer with the arrival of next-gen hardware.
*zehnzeichen*

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE SALES ANALYSIS - TWO YEARS OUT, 2012-2014

After revealing that Retro City Rampage had sold over 400,000 paid units (and an additional 270,000 PS+ units) a little while back, I've received many requests for more detailed information... so here it is!

sales2014.png

PC/STEAM

Steam has become a discount-driven ecosystem. However, despite a devaluation of game prices, revenue is still high. The ecosystem is still at risk if developers continue to do deeper and deeper discounts, but at the moment it's still healthy. A stark contrast shown in the chart above: the revenue is lower than PlayStation but the actual units significantly higher, clearly demonstrating just how much of a discount-driven market it is.

PLAYSTATION

PS VITA has been a very healthy market which is completely counter to the misappropriated console's stigma as a failure. With less AAA competition, it's easier to get store placement and store placement is what sells games. Over the past two years, sales on PS VITA have become proportionately higher than PS3. PS4 proves healthy as well. PlayStation developers releasing games in 2015 should prioritize PS4 followed by PS VITA.

NINTENDO

Nintendo 3DS has the healthiest tail of all platforms. Released nearly 10 months ago, it has never been discounted and still boasts a strong weekly tail. It was a great fit for the platform and market and received great promotion from Nintendo at launch. RCR released on 3DS 15 months later, but had it been released simultaneously with the others it's possible that it could've become the best selling out of all eight platforms (or at least toe to toe). Again, this would vary widely on the type of game, but RCR was a perfect match for 3DS.

XBOX

Xbox 360 was a prime example of how important store placement and promotion is. It's one of the weakest platforms sales-wise. Comparing it to its direct competitor (PS3), it's clear that the placement and repeated promotions on PS3 and lack thereof on Xbox 360 made all the difference. The potential for success existed on Xbox 360, but it's no joke that Mountain Dew is a direct competitor on there. Getting featured on Xbox is far more difficult than on other platforms (unless you're willing to pay for advertising in hard cash).

http://retrocityrampage.com/casestudy2014.php
*zehnzeichen*

Ich wüsste echt mal zu gerne, was Sony für die PS+ spiele zahlt.

Former Valve dev talks about firings, productivity, cliques, bad management, office - A couple of people here might be familiar with Rich Geldreich. He was part of Valve's linux dev group, worked on SteamOS and VOGL. Last summer he ranted about OGL's situation multiple times stirring up the hornets' nest while doing so. He then left the company. Occasionally I still look at his twitter feed, and today saw this:

Thinking about writing a "What It's *Really* Like to Work at Valve" blog post, to get it off my chest. Worried I can't do the topic justice.

To which he wrote a post on his blog. Open Office Spaces and Cabal Rooms Suck. This is a general rant, but is mostly based on his time at Valve.

In case it wasn't clear: I really dislike large open office spaces. (Not 2-3 person offices, but large industrial scale 20-100 person open office spaces of doom.) Valve's was absolutely the worst expression of the concept I've ever experienced. I can understand doing the open office thing for a while at a startup, where every dollar counts, but at an established company I just won't tolerate this craziness anymore. (See the scientific research below if you think I feel too strongly about this trend.)

As an engineer I can force myself to function in them, but only with large headphones on and a couple huge monitors to block visual noise. I do my best to mentally block out the constant audio/visual (and sometimes olfactory!) interruptions, but it's tough. It's not rocket science people: engineers cannot function at peak efficiency in Romper Room-like environments.

In case you've never seen or worked in one of these horrible office spaces before, here's a public shot showing a small fraction of the Dota 2 cabal room:

dota2%2Bvalve017.jpg

I heard the desks got packed in so tightly that occasionally a person would lower or raise their desks and it would get caught against other nearby desks. One long-time Valve dev would try to make himself a little cubicle of sorts by parking himself into a corner with a bunch of huge monitors on his desk functioning as walls, kind of like this extreme example:

He also had little mirrors on the top of a couple monitors, so he could see what people were doing behind him. At first I thought he was a little eccentric, but I now understand.

After a while I realized "Cabal rooms" (Valve's parlance for a project-specific open office space) resembled panopticon prisons: See that little cell in the back left there? That's your desk. Now concentrate and code!

Here's the list of issues I encountered while working in cabal (open office layout) rooms:

1. North Korea-like atmosphere of self-censorship: Now at a place like my previous company *(he means Valve)*, pretty much everyone is constantly trying to climb the stack rank ladders to get a good bonus, and everyone is trying to protect their perceived turf. Some particularly nasty devs will do everything they can to lead you down blind alleys, or just give you bad information or bogus feedback, to prevent you from doing something that could make you look good (or make something they claimed previously be perceived by the group as wrong or boneheaded).

2. Constant background noise: visual, auditory, olfactory, etc.

3. Bad physical cabal room placement: Don't put a cabal room next to the barber or day care rooms people (!).

4. Constant random/unstructured interruptions.

5. Hyper-proximity to sick co-workers.

6. Noise spike in the afternoon in one cabal room, as everyone all the sudden decides to start chatting (usually about inane crap honestly) for 30-60 minutes.

7. Environmental issues: Temperature either too high or too low, lighting either too bright, too dark, or wrong color spectrum. Nobody is ever really happy with this arrangement except the locally optimizing bean counters.

8. Power issues or fire hazards due to extreme desk density.

9. Mixing electrical or mechanical engineers (who operate power tools, solder, destruct shit, etc.) next to developers trying their best to concentrate on code.

10. Guest developers causing trouble:

11. No (or bad access to) white boards.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=964018
http://richg42.blogspot.hu/2015/01/open-office-spaces-and-cabal-rooms-suck.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...pen-office-trend-is-destroying-the-workplace/
*zehnzeichen*

Cooler Thread.

Ich denke das könnte hier richtig sein.

Habs schon einige Male gepostet, aber halte es für dem Thread angemessen und es handelt sich um Inneneinsichten, die man so im Netz kaum noch findet.

Es handelt sich um Beiträge von Rare Mitarbeitern in einem längst geschlossenen Forum für Entwickler (Fat Babies), die ich um das Jahr 2004 gespeichert habe.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perfect Dark 2 has been canned from XBOX 1 and is going over to XBOX 2.

Sabre Man Stamped has been canned from XBOX 1 and may not even be made for XBOX 2.

Kameo looks like its not going to be finished and may be canned.

Ghoulies has just been launched, sales are not to good and it should have been canned.

conker ? small little rodent ? when are you going to learn ?

Piñata is going to be a game that you get free on the XBOX 2 hard drive. You put seeds in a virtual garden and water them and watch them grow. The more games you buy the bigger your garden gets. Nice idea I think it was SHIGERU MIYAMOTO who came up with the idea for the game cube but didn't bother to implement it as he thought it would be a waste of time.

Please someone from Microsoft go into Rareware and fire all the producers they are all useless and very rich, its not fare on the artists as they are some of the best in the world, but most of them have gone on to better companies as they have lost faith in there team leaders.

http://www.rareware.com/

Someone I know got made redundant the other day, while four of my work colleges where taken off a team and put into a room with menial tasks to do. The tasks were going to be reviewed each month until the management decide they have grounds to fire them.

Do you think Microsoft can sort it out, What do you think?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
this woudnt happen to be because of microsoft stormtrooper shakeup visit this week is it?
repeat after me rarekids "AWESOME"

quote:
Microsoft boys came around rareware today, they seemed happy with what they saw, oh my god. MICROSOFT !! wake up all our games or not even second rate, our games are even worse then "Blinks" and we all know how much you spunked on that game.

quote:
I'd laugh if I didn't know every word of it was true. I too was once a Rare drone until I left. I really really loved the company before I joined. I truely believed that it was a world class company.
It isn't. It pays badly. It's managed badly. People spend a lot of time moaning and bitching about thing. People look out for themselves. This kind of culture doesn't just spring up overnight, it's the result of years of carefully planned activities such as:
Ignoring your staff.
Having a pay raise freeze, and capping the Xmas bonus (6 months before they sold to Microsoft)
Rewarding you based on the length of time at the company or whether you are friends with the top players (or in the case of the PDZ designer, married to them).
Having a half hour lunch. It's in the middle of no-where so you can't do anything during a working week (like visit the bank, or pop into town).
No external email.
No external internet access apart from a team shared "internet" machine.

I too have friends at Rare. I know a few are already making plans to leave. The Rare way though is simply to replace them with 21 year olds straight from Uni that think, like I did, that working stupid hours for Rare is a dream in itself. The dream wears fine pretty quick.

Rare: the classic example of power. It corrupts.
One last tip though. If you are in anyway in control of another employee.....please go on a management training course. Really...do. Because you lack the skills needed to manage. This is not a Rare thing. Lots of people in this industry think that because they're a good artist or programmer that they can be a good manager.

quote:
Here's a thought. Rare...a company with a Nursery for it's employees. Wonderful. That saves a load per month for a lot of staff that have worked there for a long time...and now have a family and children.
Amazingly it was closed....weeks before Xmas last year...why?
Oh yes....to save money.
And to avoid paying the nursery staff Xmas bonuses (staff they took with them on holiday to look after the kids....nice).
And of course because all the Stamper/Tilston children had left (making it soooo obviously pointless).

Oh well....I guess they must suffer the plague of evil employees. Maybe we should set up a new charity....Millionaires in Need.
Give generously...they do have to pay for Steven Stamper after all...the highest paid gardener in the WORLD....

quote:
Please Microsoft storm us as you normally do and get rid of the management before I lose all credibility.

P.S. can rare's so called management stop telling off its staff for posting notes on fat babies, your better off just getting in some professional management who wouldn't stoop so low to see if there staff where posting notes at lunch.

I'm looking forward to the Xmas party but please don't make me dress up in children's clothes again.

Can you also give me a weeks wage at Christmas instead of the usual £250

quote:
You're joking? They've been whinging about postings on Fatbabies?
Typical Rare: moan about the problems rather then try and address the issues. "You better stop being nasty to me or I'l scream and I'l cry and I'll hold my breath until I turn purple".

Problem for me, as an Ex-Rare is I don't actually think the management (I always got on quite well with Betteridge and Bayliss) are arseholes. Really...I don't. I just think they think that because they could run a company with 30 employees....well heck then can run one with 190+. You can't. It's not your fault. No one can. You need a localised management structure. Some guy with a problem is not going to go talk to Farmer about an issue because:
He earns more in a month then you do in about 5 years.
He will completely disregard what you have to say...not becaue he's horrible but because the Rare way got them this far...thus the Rare way is the right way. So they won't listen, and they will tell you so. Without even trying to put it in a nice way.
He (and they) will remember what you said and hold a grudge against you in the future - even if this is just paranoia, it's paranoia brought on by the current structure in place.

Too rich, too quick with little thought about the company outside the director and the choosen few except in terms of "those slacking employees".

It really is a pity because I still love Rare (obviously I'm a masochist), and it breaks my heart to see what is plainly in front of their faces (can't see the wood for the trees come to mind) - that the end....in one form or another, is nigh.

A company best asset period, is it's employees. Not it's IP. Not it's portfollio. Not it's past history. Not it's computer controlled office. Once that's gone then your just left with fanboys, a bad reputation and being laughed at in the industry press. Oh....and of course Microsoft will replace you all.

quote:
Then of course there's the one when he wanted an employee to come to his office, but the employee wanted to listen to then end of song on the radio and said "Just a minute", so now no one can listen to music, even with headphones?

Work should be a partnership. You work best when you work for each other. Rare is more a dictatorship....and every employee knows it...and that's sad.

quote:
You are forgetting that most people who produce art or program on computers became interested in games for there love of the genre "games entertainment".
Believe me, people at rare are doing their own thing every day as there is no direction or passion from there bosses, just a bunch of management, producers and bankers who hate there work force.
I used to love rare games and I though it was great when I got a job there but the fact is the management is useless and there is no system for getting games out on time.
As much as I hate Rare, and the way they treated me for all those years, I don't want to see it go down the pan as it could be such a great company to work for, if only some of the management and there family would stop milking it dry just left.

If they stay then so be it the company will fail, and believe me I know what's about to happen to Rare

quote:
Agreed. Hard work should lead to success. But this simply doesn't apply at Rare.

Riddle me this then: Why was the Lead Programmer of PD Zero (the man brought into salvage what was left of PD after the Free Rads left) basically fired from the company over 1 1/2 years ago? Was the project stalling...no seemed to be very much on time for Xmas '03 release. Was the project impressive? Looked very nice - a massive leap from PD. Was he hard to get along with? He had a reputation for speaking his mind and his staff respected him (and possibly loathed him in equal measure). Was he incompentent? Seemed to be considered one of the brightest at Rare at the time. Was he not working hard enough? Seemed to be working all the hours in the days....and weekends...and this was the beginning of the middle of the project (i.e. no one else in the company bar Starfox was in).

So why was he escorted from the building? Oh yes....I remember. The Art Director and the Designer (married to a Stamper sister) decided that they where being "restricted" too much. If you read that correctly you will instantly know this of a case of too many cooks (see if you can finish the sentence for me?).
How long did it take them to replace him with a lead programmer that had finished a game? Over 1/2 a year.
When can we expect PDZ now (remember I feel it WOULD have made this Xmas previously)? When the Devil has to defrost his car in the morning.

So work hard and get rewarded? Or work hard for 2 years then get kicked out because you told the Designer and Art Director they can't have all their toys in the playpen at the same time?

quote:
It's interesting that the people who are defending Rare here have only just registered to post on FB. Damage limitation anyone?

quote:
....that'll be "BM" you're talking about. I beleive he resigned after being alledgedly threatened by some people at Rare (hmm)... He was a very, very talented guy - one of the best code optimisers out there - But, boy if its the same person, what a right royal pain in the ass - sounds just like that man "Aquam". License my top secret technology.... I need more money.... etc etc

There's a couple of people at the office that worked indirectly with him - they said PDZ was absolutely jaw-dropping on the GC - and these are some smart renderer people, and now it looks like a sack of shit.

quote:
I am also an ex-rare art drone.(why do I feel like im at an AA meeting)

I wouldnt dream of wasting any time or energy mud slinging.Save your energies for something you love. But I would like to say a few words about my experience there, for anyone who would wish to hear.
It is sad to say the unpleasant things said in this thread are all true....

I joined as so many do fresh out of college young naieve and enthusiastic.
I really love art and I can quite honestly say it was my reason for living. But after only a few short years the atmosphere had transformed me from a happy go lucky grinning idiot into a paranoid hate filled animal. In the end I realised the job had actually managed make me hate the art that was once my reason to live. To me it seemed that rare preys on the impressionable and insecure, promoting an atmosphere of back stabbing and paranoia.So strange and isolated in its own little league of gentlemen type world.
Despite this I can honestly say I met some fantastic people there.Especially the artists I had the pleasure of working with and I will always be grateful for all they taught me.(thanks guys) Finally I think i am grateful for the other lessons that rare taught me the hard way.
Having the strength to stand up for myself and leave. Ill never be anyones doormat again. I can smell bulls**t from miles away.Never waste a minute of your life bitching, (or calculating how the bonus scheme works)
because in the end they are both futile exercises.Dont become a prisoner of your own greed.(it takes two to participate in a bonus scheme)
For the lucky ones unencumbered by circumstance, my advice would be "just leave" You`ll soon discover how small twycross really is.

As for my advice for rares future... Sack the managment and hire some of the other monkeys from down the road.They`ve sold more PG tips than you`ll ever sell games, and they could hardly do any worse?

Finally Id like to say my story has a happy ending, I have regained my love of art and joy in life. I discovered I dont need that ferarri to be happy.(but I would still like one)To my comrades still trapped in Twycross detention camp, my heart goes out to you.Start digging that tunnel chaps.

quote:
True, but you must lay the blame at the whole PDZ team for, and indeed Rare. Lots of people write code there that no one else gets involved in, and gets checked when people leave. I can think of 5 seperate examples of this of the top of my head.

The problem with BM was that he allowed to get away with writing too much of the important stuff with out distributing it around the programming. Admittedly given the experience (or lack of it of the rest of the team - none had finished a game) this is no massively suprising, but it shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

I can't really imagine the rest of id (not that BM is anywhere near this level) turning round to Carmack and saying "Can you make it a little less technical....just is case you get run over or something?".
This kind of thing is still the fault of management - either they knew he was running the team on his own and did nothing about it (lazy) or they didn't know what was going on (incompetence).

I don't really know which is worse.

quote:
Rare did look at Renderware....but that company suffers from the worse case of "not written here" syndrome I've ever seen. It's not the Rare way (r).

Passend dazu die Geschichte zu Donkey Kong 64. Das Spiel brauchte damals als erstes das RAM Expansion Pack. Wie sich vor einigen Monaten rausstellte lag das an einem Game Breaking Bug der nur bei 4 MB Konsolen auftrat. Da Rare den Fehler nicht gefunden hat, hat man das Spiel halt das Expansion Pack dazu gelegt.

Ab Minute 3:20 etwa:

[video=youtube;VgtAXCaSlpk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=VgtAXCaSlpk[/video]

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._expansion_pak_to_prevent_g ame_breaking_bug

Der fünfte Teil (und gleichzeitig auf der letzte Teil) der Serie ist auf Kotaku erschienen (Frühere Ausgaben findet man hier):

The Pizza Party Where Everyone Got Fired

Yesterday, the game development studio Daybreak went through massive layoffs, culling a large number of jobs in order to stay "profitable." That's just business as usual in the video game industry, where it seems like there's a new round of layoffs every single week. For months now we've been covering the way game publishers and development studios treat their employees in an attempt to spotlight the painful and unstable environment behind many of the games we love. (See our companion feature for a look at why layoffs happen so often in gaming.)

jpzkl0jonkvp62h8uiue.jpg

In this, our fifth (and likely final) volume of layoff stories, we've got anecdotes from people across the world who have lost their jobs at video game companies. There are stories about forced relocations, about unexpected studio closures, about pizza parties that go horribly wrong. The last story, which is very long, might be the most heartbreaking layoff story we 've published so far. Give it a read.

Activision, EA Tried To Buy Minecraft - Report
An excellent new story from Forbes dives into the post-Minecraft life of the game's creator Markus "Notch" Persson and also reveals new details about how it wasn't just Microsoft that came knocking at Mojang's door to buy the hit franchise.

Forbes reports that Activision Blizzard and Electronic Arts, among others, also came forward, expressing interest in pursuing a deal. Discussions with Activision "petered out," the report says. Persson wouldn't talk specifics about what happened with EA, a company he has been critical of in the past. But he did say that Mojang ruled out would-be buyers "who did gameplay in a way we didn't like."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-ea-tried-to-buy-minecraft-report/1100-6425648/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2015/03/03/minecraft-markus-persson-life-after-microsoft-sale/
*zehnzeichen*

Are cops in GTA V racist?
While most people have been swooning over GTA V Online Heists mode, others have been busy discovering equally important aspects of the game. One of these includes: Are cops in GTA V racist? This study was carried out by YouTube channel, Game Theorists, who experimented to see how the police in GTA V reacted to each of the three protagonists, Franklin, Michael and Trevor.

This investigation was done in a carefully controlled environment to ensure that there would be no inaccuracy in the result, a 16-minute video of the experiment was recorded. You can find out whether the cops are actually racist or not by viewing the intriguing video below.

[video=youtube;ZXpfsYiG8Dc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXpfsYiG8Dc[/video]
*zehnzeichen*

Life after Prey 2: How Human Head recovered from cancellation
Human Head Studios takes us through the aftermath of having the plug pulled on its biggest project.
http://www.develop-online.net/inter...uman-head-recovered-from-cancellation/0205225

In 2006, Human Head Studios released one of the most ambitious games in its history: the acclaimed sci-fi shooter Prey. With more than 1m sales racked up worldwide within the first few months, a sequel was inevitable – but has yet to surface. It’s no secret that Human Head was hard at work on Prey 2. The title was mentioned in rumours and interviews for years, and finally announced by publisher Bethesda in 2011.

Project director Chris Rhinehart tells Develop that development on the game had reached a crucial stage.

“We stopped working on Prey 2 near the end of 2011, and had been working on it for close to two years,” he says. “It was very close to an alpha state, with all major content pieces represented. “We were at that point in a game where you can step back and see the whole picture and shift from developer to editor and decide which elements to cut and which elements to emphasis and polish."

Norm Nazaroff, project lead on Human Head’s latest title Minimum, adds:

"We had a great deal of content created, some of which was shown publicly but a lot of which was not.

“Our tech had progressed significantly past the live demo we ran at E3, Gamescom and PAX and was even more impressive. It’s my personal opinion that we would have been counted among the best looking games of the previous console generation.”

But in October last year, Bethesda officially cancelled the game, citing a lack of quality in the build it had seen. For the Madison, Wisconsin-based studio, it was a crushing end to almost two years of long and gruelling work.

Human Head’s business development director Tim Gerritsen says the studio is unable to offer any more detail on the reasons for the cancellation.

“Bethesda stated their reasons when they finally cancelled the game in October 2014, and needless to say we have our own perspective on the matter that differs from the reasons they stated,” he says.

“As we said in response in October, we feel that the quality of the game was well represented by the materials we displayed in numerous public demonstrations on behalf of Bethesda and we are disappointed that fans won’t be able to see our vision come to life. We remain proud of the work that we did."
*zehnzeichen*

The Fake Video Game Rumor Someone Spread For ... Homework

1221588597857772578.jpg

What drives a person to make up a video game rumor and spread it around the internet? They might do it for the fame or the infamy. Maybe for a laugh. Sometimes, it’s... to get a good grade on a college paper.

In early March, a Reddit user going by the name certain_ability posted a juicy thread on r/gaming, the biggest gaming community on Reddit at around 7.5 million subscribers. He said he used to work for Microsoft and wanted to spill some details, going on to claim that the folks behind Xbox had asked the independent studio Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank, Sunset Overdrive) to develop a reboot of the old platforming series Conker. But Insomniac had turned it down because of time concerns, certain_ability said.

http://kotaku.com/the-fake-video-game-rumor-someone-spread-for-homewor-1699726881
*zehnzeichen*

Kein Wunder, wenn SEGA´s erfolgreichstes Spiel letztes Jahr Aliens mit ca. 2 Mio Exemplare war, dann kann man nur nich vom alten Markt abrücken.

Wenn man die Gesamtsituation sieht ebenso:

http://www.4players.de/4players.php...PC-Sektor_bleibt_stabil_Tablets_legen_zu.html

Das Nintendo nur 5 Spiele bringt... ich glaub eher die wollen den Umstieg möglichst ohne Shitstorm hinter sich bringen. Sobald das erste Mario auf iOS erscheint, denke ich wird Nintendo neue Rekorde brechen.

New article on Konami paints a bleak picture
Nikkei dishes dirt on Metal Gear company.

Freelance game localiser Thomas James says Nikkei reveals $80m had been spent on the development of Metal Gear Solid 5 as of April 2015. No doubt more has been spent since. Kojima's exit from the company is already confirmed, and his developer, Kojima Productions, disbanded. Apparently the culture at Konami's game division started to deteriorate in 2010, when mobile game Dragon Collection became a smash hit. As a low-cost development, margin and profit were high - in stark contrast to costly console game creation.

Nikkei notes the creator of Love Plus has already left the company, but it adds development on the Suikoden series has been halted as well. The article claims email with outsiders is done with a randomised email address that is changed regularly. Lunch breaks are said to be regulated with time cards, and those who take too much time are "outed".

Employees who are "deemed useless" have been known to be given assembly line work at Konami's pachi-slot machine factory, been ordered to work as security guards, and even made to clean up at fitness clubs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-03-new-article-on-konami-paints-a-bleak-picture
*zehnzeichen*

The game industry of Iran
How economic sanctions and piracy shape how people in Iran make and play games.

"In one month, Pro Evolution Soccer sold five million copies," Ahmadi says, referring to a Bonyad estimate of PES 2013’s sales that also factors in black market data. "I was talking to one of EA’s marketing managers at Gamescom about Pro Evolution Soccer [in Iran] and he told me he couldn’t believe it." These may be cheap, pirated copies nestled in flimsy cardboard sleeves, but the Bonyad’s statistics show that sports is Iran’s most popular game genre.

It’s a tall order for Iranian games to compete when a neatly packaged, pirated copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 costs USD $1.60, the standard price for a physical game in Iran. It’s one of Ashtiani’s biggest gripes and why he hopes Iran will one day honor copyright laws, if only to protect its own industry.

"Because the absence of copyright law allows you to make all this profit selling foreign goods without paying for copyright," Ashtiani says, as if talking to an Iranian publisher pirating games, "you must now pay a fee."

sticker.0.jpg

store.0.JPG

IMG_0187.0.JPG

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/1/14/10757460/the-game-industry-of-iran
*zehnzeichen*

Hätte gedacht CoD wäre da verboten und unter Todesstrafe...

A sneak peek at our January 28, 2016 stream when we'll be showing the cancelled PSP game Saints Row Undercover!

[video=youtube;-8O2cLAiWIE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8O2cLAiWIE[/video]
*zehnzeichen*

Es scheint, als hätte nur ein einziger Mitarbeiter bei Capcom bei der Entwicklung vom Street Fighter V's Netcode daran bis zum Launch gearbeitet. Eigentlich kaum zu glauben. :-D

Ab Minute 2:00 ...

[video=youtube;Gy2ePkIKFZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy2ePkIKFZc[/video]

HBJxtuu.jpg

giphy.gif

Zurück
Top Bottom