Next Gen Konsolen und die Technik dahinter

Status
Nicht offen für weitere Antworten.
Poste es auch mal hier:

News aus dem Gaf, könnte natürlich auch lügen

Hello all

I follow these boards since the Gaming Age days, currently I am especially on this topic, I must say that it has been a great pleasure to read you all, and I finally decided to post to share my informations and my ideas. To introduce myself a little, I am a former French game journalist, since the 90s. I’ll not enter into details but for example, I’ve contributed, at different positions, to large French gaming websites. I want to reach the other side of the fence and am looking for a creative content job (gamedesign, writing, producing, etc.) in a big studio. I kept a few contacts in the industry from my activities, and so I could get some news about the Wii U, console that I wait with impatience.

Some warnings before i start:

1 - To retain my sources who are obviously under NDA and not put them in difficulty, I will not quote them. Also, I love this sector, and a large part of the presentation impact of a new hardware at E3 and other shows depend on the respect by all the actors of the confidentiality of important information, such as power and therefore what a console is capable of displaying. I do not want to spoil this momentum that Nintendo is building for the E3. For all these reasons, I will stay more or less evasive, but I can give some news that are not huge revelations. They are rather positive and interesting, I hope that they will nurture the constructive debates around here, and put an end to bad speculations on the console I've read here lately. I want somehow to participate in the buzz that will gradually be built around the Wii U, and I think that Nintendo public relation guys should be more active on geek boards like this one, to counter when it’s necessary, some rumors that dampen seriously the enthusiasm of hardcore gamers, who could then relay these bad vibrations to fellow gamers in their circles. The “just on par with xbox360” drama has even spread to french forums, so it can’t hurt to deny it fast.

2 - Read all this with caution. It's second-hand knowledge, I have not seen Wii U dev kit myself. My sources are reliable but they are not close friends in life, there are also some parameters that have as consequences that what they told me might not reflect the full reality of the Wii U power.

3 - My sources do not occupy very technical positions, like programmers, coders, who have daily access to the kits guts, they are not the best suited to quantify the machine capacities, there is a great deal of subjectivity in their infos.

Here we go

I can already say that this come from European big studios which have logically the latest dev kits available to third parties. To be clear, these are not small studios that could have remained at earlier dev kits because they are not important enough to receive Nintendo's latest updates quickly.

So, from what my sources saw on their screens, they clearly stated that they experienced superior capabilities in comparison to the Xbox360. This is the positive aspect of my info: you can be sure that the Wii U is not on par with current gen HD. You can remove this idea from your heads, and stop speculating about it, it will not happen. The point more negative now: On the power scale, they told me that it’s closer to 2x Xbox360 than 5x. On paper, some components (you can guess which) are mathematically 4 or 5 times more powerful, more in quantity/number, than in the xbox360, but it does not translate for the moment in 5x prettier images, with 5 more complex and finest scenes, etc.

Further details: These impressions are from a time when studios used revision 4 of the dev kits. Lately, 4.2 kits shipped from Singapore. I don’t know if there is a significant power gain with “.X” type of revisions, I guess it’s the case, but not as important as a change of revision number (from Rev 3 to 4 for example). I’ve heard that V5 kits may exist. It is likely, as for many other consoles before, that Nintendo and first-party have more advanced and therefore more powerful/optimized dev kits. However, these v4 kits are apparently from the end of the year / beginning of 2012, and they are those which have benefited from the hardware boost reported on the net. For people who hoped that this upgrade would make the Wii U 5 times stronger and 5 times more capable of displaying beautiful stuff on screen, from what I know, this is not the case for now, but there are several variables that can explain this, I'll come back to this subject in other posts, but can say that this “not 5x Xbox360” is only valid in the context from which I gathered my informations (third-party, second-hand, subjectivity, news given at a certain time knowing that the console will come out maybe 10 months later so will receive more upgrades, etc.). But again, I put the emphasis on the fact that it’s clearly not on par with the xbox360, it’s at least 2x.

Furthermore, but read that with a grain of salt, many graphical effects are applied near the “end” of the visual development of a game. I guess some parameters that cause what is rendered on the screen to be more or less clean, complex, for example the type of shadow, the AA applied, and new effects that the Wii U GPU is probably capable of fall into this category (the shiny stuff that developers adds at the end, once the engine is running well), and therefore the final result will feel more like a 3 or 4 or even the famous 5x than 2x Xbox360 to the eyes of my sources, I keep in touch with them to know if it will be the case.

That is all I can say for now, there will be other posts to come. Do not expect revelations from each of my interventions though. This in not the main purpose of my decision to post on NeoGAF. As my nickname implies it, I want to share my ideas (of game design, background, etc.) confront them, do theorycrafting which I love. I’ll participate on topics that interest me, and of course this one, by writing “normal” and light messages with some funny things, gifs, images, and above all, ideas !

See you soon
Mal schaun, hört sich zumindest nicht unlogisch an, 5 mal stärker auf dem Papier ermöglicht halt nicht 5x die Grafik. Ich wäre damit wohl mehr als zufrieden, aber wie gesagt, er kann lügen oder irgendwas falsch verstanden haben. Im GAF glaubt man ihm erstmal... Wenn irgendwas drann ist, dann ist die WiiU wirklich (auf dem Papier) 4-5 mal (wohl eher ein wenig stärker, da das Devkit vermutlich nicht völlig final) ist so stark wie die 360, was mit den Informationen von IGN übereinstimmen würde.

Grafisch könnte man sich so schon ein wenig von PS360 abheben und es würde bedeuten, dass die WiiU höchst wahrscheinlich alle Next Gen Titel abbekommen könnte.

Im GAF hat heute auch ein member gepostet das EA Vancouver (EA's größtes Studio das FIFA,NHL....produziert) bereits PS4 Devkits besitzt und wohl an Launch sport titeln arbeitet :)
Zum scheint es so das die in GAF ihm glauben ist wohl auch ein älteres mitglied.

Ich meine Sony will bestimmt nicht noch mal ein ganzes jahr wie damals 06 auf einen FIFA titel verzichten wollen, da das auf jeden fall ein systemseller bei neuer Hardware ist.

Im GAF hat heute auch ein member gepostet das EA Vancouver (EA's größtes Studio das FIFA,NHL....produziert) bereits PS4 Devkits besitzt und wohl an Launch sport titeln arbeitet :)
Zum scheint es so das die in GAF ihm glauben ist wohl auch ein älteres mitglied.

Ich meine Sony will bestimmt nicht noch mal ein ganzes jahr wie damals 06 auf einen FIFA titel verzichten wollen, da das auf jeden fall ein systemseller bei neuer Hardware ist.

Sony sagte auch irgendwann mal, dass sie nicht gewollt sind der Konkurrenz diesmal einen großen Vorsprung zu geben. Auch wenn später was anderes behauptet wurde.
Bei 3D Center gab es auch mal eine Meldung dass MS und Sony ziemlch zeitglich die Auftragsabnahme bei AMD durchgeführt haben. MS soll ein wenig schneller gewesen sein, worauf Sony drückt ausgeübt haben soll.
Das war wenn ich mich jetzt nicht irre ein User, der schon 2008 die Infor rausgerückt hatte, dass Sony für die GPU des PSP Nachfolgers bei IMG gelandet ist, das schrieb er noch bevor er einige Zeit bevor digital foundry die Meldung aufschnappte. Ist am Ende ja auch eingetretten, er hatte gar auf das richtige Modell getippt. Halte ich daher für nicht unwahrscheinlich.

Gab es von dem angeblichen Dev spezielle Hinweise?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Wird vielleicht wohl doch wieder ne klassische Gen mit allen 3 am Start.

Da müssten echt alle einen Blitzstart 2012 hinlegen, schwer abzuschätzen, irgendwie.

So oder so: Die Hardware wird wohl vergleichbar bleiben. Soll heißen: Die Multititel kommen überall an, diesmal, nur bei manchen schlechter und bei manchen besser angepasst und mit Zusatzfeatures. Wenn MS Kinect als Standard einbaut, wird man da genauso Spielereien sehen können, wie mit dem WiiU-Pad. Bei Sony bin ich gespannt, welches Paket sie so schüren wollen und was diesmal das Alleinstellungsmerkmal sein soll.

Wird vielleicht wohl doch wieder ne klassische Gen mit allen 3 am Start.

Langsam bin ich mir auch schon ziemlich sicher das ich spätestens weihnachten 2013 die X3 und PS4 bei mir stehen habe :)

noch was kleines:

Epic’s announced it’s to preview Unreal Engine 4 at GDC next week to “select licensees, partners and prospective customers" with NDAs required to be signed before seeing it.

The Gears of War company will hold business and tech meetings on Unreal Engine 3, as well as appointment-only media briefings on the Wednesday and Thursday.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/27/epic-to-preview-unreal-engine-4-at-gdc/

wird leider nicht für die öffentlichkeit bestimmt sein :cry:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Da müssten echt alle einen Blitzstart 2012 hinlegen, schwer abzuschätzen, irgendwie.

So oder so: Die Hardware wird wohl vergleichbar bleiben. Soll heißen: Die Multititel kommen überall an, diesmal, nur bei manchen schlechter und bei manchen besser angepasst und mit Zusatzfeatures. Wenn MS Kinect als Standard einbaut, wird man da genauso Spielereien sehen können, wie mit dem WiiU-Pad. Bei Sony bin ich gespannt, welches Paket sie so schüren wollen und was diesmal das Alleinstellungsmerkmal sein soll.

Wii, 360 und PS3 sind ja auch nicht gleichzeitig erschienen, aber halt nicht 2 oder mehr Jahre auseinander.

Hey Leute, die WiiU wird die einzige unbd letzte NextGen Konsole sein, Sony und MS werden keine mehr veröffentlichen! Nintendo Wins!

Quelle: Klick mich!

trollface.png

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Würde mich freuen wenn alle ähnlich starke HW bringen würden. Aber im Moment sieht es so aus :)

Im Moment sind das halt alles Gerüchte. Kann mir aber nicht vorstellen, dass Nintendo die Entwickler ignoriert, so gut dürften sie lange nicht mehr kooperiert haben und sie werden höchst wahrscheinlich keine 360 mit Tablettcontroller bringen. Wenn man dem Glauben schenkt und die Konkurrenz relativ zeitnah (innerhalb eines Jahres) launcht, dann sehe ich sie zumindest so nahe zusammen, dass Multititel kein Problem sein werden. Wäre eigentlich nicht verkehrt, wenn sie sich durch Exklusivtitel abgrenzen müssten^^ Ich hoffe nintendo bringt ne anständige Konsole und macht den anderen Dampf, dass sie sich beeilen. Mag keine 10 Jahre Gens.

Eben, ich bin auch kein Fan von überlangen Gens. Ich denke nächste Gen wird es wieder deutlich enger werden in Sachen HW :)

Hier etwas Neues zu Wii U. Ist jetzt nichts wichtiges aber allein das Statement sagt einiges aus

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/02/gearbox_wants_as_much_wii_u_power_as_possible

So unwichtig finde ich das garnicht mal. Die Entwickler sprechen ja derzeit von einer extrem hohen Kooperationsbereitschaft seitens Nintendos und wenn Forderungen wie "As much powerful as possible" gestellt werden, um auch zukünftige HD Standards mittels der Konsole (TV+Controller) darstellen zu können, dann könnten die 3rds ja nur von einer guten Kooperationsbereitschaft sprechen, wenn Nintendo die Hardware auch wirklich in diese Richtung (wie es die Entwickler verlangen) entwickelt. Zeitgleich ist der Großteil der Entwickler anscheinend auch zufrieden mit der derzeitigen Leistung der WiiU, was ja zu meiner Behauptung im anfänglichen Text passen würde.

Eben, Nintendo hört auf die Thirds, das ist eigentlich sicher. Und wenn viele sagen: "Bitte mehr Power.", dann wird das Nintendo schon so regeln, dass es den Thirds passt. :)

Ah so, was mir gerade eingefallen ist, wenn bei den Entwicklern in ihren Stellenanzeigen unter NextGen auch die Wii U gemeint ist, so muss die Grafikkarte der Wii U mindestens auf der 5er Serie beruhen. Da AMD ab der 5er-Serie erst mit DirectX11 ankam.

Status
Nicht offen für weitere Antworten.
Zurück
Top Bottom