Heavy Rain

Wie kommt ihr eigentlich darauf, dass Heavy Rain PS3-Only wird? Soweit ich mich an die News erinnere, war die Rede davon, dass Quantic Dream (also die Fahrenheit entwickler) an EINEM PS3-exklusiven Spiel arbeiten aber nicht, dass das "Heavy Rain" sein wird...! :-?

Wie kommt ihr eigentlich darauf, dass Heavy Rain PS3-Only wird? Soweit ich mich an die News erinnere, war die Rede davon, dass Quantic Dream (also die Fahrenheit entwickler) an EINEM PS3-exklusiven Spiel arbeiten aber nicht, dass das "Heavy Rain" sein wird...! :-?

1 und 2 zusammengezählt und jetzt hofft man das es stimmt. Allerdings kann ich mir auch nicht vorstellen das sie ein weiteres Spiel in der Mache haben.

Und wenn multi wird eh egal, hauptsache es kommt am Ende ein gutes Produkt raus.

qd-ps3.png

Heavy Rain auf E3 für PS3 only confirmed?

Naja, "later this year" ist wirklich ein dehnbarer Begriff.

Heavy Rain auf E3 für PS3 only confirmed?

Naja, "later this year" ist wirklich ein dehnbarer Begriff.
Naja wenn es Sony sowie mit Factor 5 oder evolution gemacht hat, dann ahben sie einen vertrag auf 3 Spiele abgeschlossen. Sprich quantic Dreams ist sozusagen exclusiver PS3 entwickler in dieser gen^^

ist heavy rain jetzt defakto PS3 exklusiv??

wenn ja wäre das ein gewaltiger pluspunkt für die ps3!!!!!!!!!!!

bis jetzt wurde nichts angekündigt aber quanticdream ist nicht unbedingt ein großes entwicklerstudio welches mehrere games parallel entwickeln kann...

neues Interview.
French website Overgame had an interview with QD's director.
Here's part 1, roughly translated by myself.

Part 2 will come in a few days.

Overgame : Why being so mysterious about a title that will most probably be Heavy Rain ?

Guillaume de Fondaumiere : We thought it wasn't necessary to announce the game's title yet. Mostly because we won't show anything until a few weeks.

During E3 ?

No, it will be a little bit later than E3, a show relatively important for japanese people, if you see what I mean. So not far from now. There is still no official confirmation that this game is HR.

Well, yeah, but I don't see a game studio starting simultaneous work on two games mainly developped for the PS3.

No, at least not for now, even if we should start a new production soon. But for now, we work with Sony on a project, and soon, I think, we will announce the game's title.

Many journalists already see a link between the mysterious game and HR.

Everybody does, and I let them do. But, for now, I don't have to confirm or deny it. We just made a communication in a certain way. That the game's title is for now HR or something else is not really important anyway. I think it'll be more interesting to discover what kind of game it will be. We'll obviously unveil its title, the details, images - not only images by the way - around the end of september.

How's HR development going ?

Very well !

And what about the virtual actors system, announced during the Numeric Festival of La Villette, last year ?

We're still working on it. We had a casting for about 350 people last week. In fact, it's a true process, there are tons of researches going on what we want to do with virtual actors. It's truly long run work to reach the quality we want to achieve but mostly, to create a tool that we will be able to use for our future games, or other companies'.
We already rent our mocap studio and in the future, we probably could offer a service on virtual actors. Hence the necessity to have a maximum number of profiles, to be sure the tools we develop are versatil. Creating a virtual actor and making him talk for 4 minutes isn't enough. What we want, is to be able to create virtual actors, tall, small, fat, slim, asians, caucasians, african, and to have a production process that will truly allow us to make it so at reasonable costs.

Is Heavy Rain a true game ? We had the impression, during E3 2006, that it only was a tech demo.

The Casting, what we have shown last year, and that's where there has been a confusion, was a tech demo, a casting we made for HR. And we thought it was interesting to link both, the game itself and what we did with actresses. You will soon know who has gotten the main role.

So it wasn't requested by Sony ?

No, not at all. We originally founded this project. It's just that we started working on the PS3 because we quickly had the dev kits. We thoguht it was the ideal console to create virtual actors and we also wanted to learn how to create thos kind of actors or actresses.
Two months before E3 last year, Sony came, saw what we were doing and they told us "that's great, could we showcase it during the show ?" and we said "sure.". Of course, this demo contributed to convince them to work with us and they now have officially signed for a title, on a project not announced yet.

But HR's developemnt still continues ?

Of course. It's a very important project. We announced the deal with Sony a few days ago but it's now been a while that we work together. What I can tell you is that we had some choice, a vast choice, but we chose Sony and the PS3 as partners.

You hinted the console's power earlier. Did this factor have something to do with your decision ?

Indeed. We have a big faith in the PS3, that's obvious. It is the powerful console on the market now, and for the kind of games we create, we needed this power to achieve our ambitions. So the choice was pretty simple.

Exclusive games are now more and more rare, however...

As a developper, our choice was this. Either we worked with a general publisher, like Ubisoft, EA, THQ or Sega. Or we worked with a console manufacturer, and actually we had the chance to choose between both. Then we made a strategic choice regarding the potential partners that came to us, that invited us, and with who we talked sometimes for a long time to be sure that we were on the same wavelength and that we had the same ambition for this title. In the end we chose to entrust this project to Sony.

Exclusively, then.

Well yeah, as soon as your start working with a console manufacturer, you're automatically tied to one platform. Except Microsoft maybe, who are more on an xbox 360 / PC orientation.

We still feel that the trend now is multiplateform. Aren't there any risks to choose an exclusive deal ?

When you're an editor, this question is actually meaningful. Developping on several platforms is theorically less risky. In fact, you still have to carefully analyze the porting costs, if you can port, between two plateforms that are very different - I mainly speak about the 360 and the PS3.
Then, you can do Wii and PS3 but for me, it would be like doing Game Boy and 360 ; there is a huge gap. You can't imagine using the same elements. For the 360 and the PS3, you can still have a common graphical basis. But still, it's only a graphical basis because the architecture is really very different. To be clear, I think that if you have a 15 million budget on a PS3 title, addign 2 million for a 360 port is clearly not enough. Or, the game won't match the quality of games developped especially for the 360.
One should not forget that we make games in a concurrential environment where there always is a main version, and less pushed versions that are only ports. Games that sell on a system as well as on another system are very rare, and it's the same for the gfx or performances.

Should I deduce that you plan to use all the PS3's potential ?

That's the goal, obviously. Our choice makes us entirely focus on the PS3, then gives us the possibility to push way more than if we were working on two different platforms. Working on two different platforms, this means a choice : either you plan to use two marketys at a lesser cost, but then it's a lesser game, or you want to make two quality versions, but then you have two games that are not fundamently different but that are going to cost one as much as the other.

So that was the point for you.

For us, this is somewhat different from the position of a publisher, like Ubisoft, that has to determine what is the better way to maximize its IP's. We, on the other hand, are still a young developper sutdio. We're starting to have some knowledge and popularity, but we're mainly on the development side. Our choice was all about some factors : who is the partner that is going to bring the most for us within the next two years ? Who is the partner from which we can learn the most, and that we should go with ?

So even if many people are still very skeptical for the PS3's future, you still have faith in Sony

Yes, obviously. Skepticism doesn't worry us at all because I think that other people would have told us that they were skeptical about 360's chances if we had chosen this console.
Today, the console that seels the best is the Wii. Great. Now, if I don't release my game today, I'll do in two years. How will the market be like on two years ?
I have the feeling that analysts still have very different opinios on 360's and PS3's positions in twi years. There still are people that think that the Wii will still be the console with the bigger install base ; I doubt it. Andbetween the 360 and the PS3, I think the PS3 is gonna win. But anyway, my opinion, for this gen, is that we will have a market with three important actors, and I think this is a very good thing. It will be much more balanced than last gen.

Sie sagen zwar immernoch nciht den namen, man kann aber davon ausgehen, dass es sich hierbei um Heavy rain handelt. Allerdings finde ich es komisch, dass es das dann nicht auf der E3 sondern auf der TGS zu sehen gibt.

WOW jetzt bin ich wirklich gespannt^^

neues Interview.
[...]
Sie sagen zwar immernoch nciht den namen, man kann aber davon ausgehen, dass es sich hierbei um Heavy rain handelt. Allerdings finde ich es komisch, dass es das dann nicht auf der E3 sondern auf der TGS zu sehen gibt.

WOW jetzt bin ich wirklich gespannt^^

Vielleicht haben die wirlkich zwei Games in der mache, was ich persönlich hoffe. Wäre doch nice, neben HR noch nen Game zu bekommen.

Mein Tip ist das das eigentliche Spiel nicht mehr Heavy Rain heisst und deswegen dieses Theater veranstaltet wird.

Ich ess mal ne Packung Spekulatius und sage, dass die Hauptrolle dieses neuen "Spiel-Films" ein bekannter asiatischer Schauspieler/Schauspielerin sein wird, weswegen man auf die TGS besonders viel Wert legt...?

Nur so ne Idee :)

Ich ess mal ne Packung Spekulatius und sage, dass die Hauptrolle dieses neuen "Spiel-Films" ein bekannter asiatischer Schauspieler/Schauspielerin sein wird, weswegen man auf die TGS besonders viel Wert legt...?

Nur so ne Idee :)
ich denke eher das es sich an ein Resident Evil oder Silent Hill orientieren wird. Aber das es mehr auf den Japanischen MArkt zugeschnitten werden wird, sah man schon an dem japanischen Director der von Sony Japan zu Quantic Dreams gewechselt ist^^

QD hat doch in einem Interview vor ein paar Tagen bestätigt, dass das Spiel "real" werden soll und nichts "übernatürliches" usw. enthalten soll.
Glaube kaum, dass im Spiel Zombies vorkommen.
Solche Spiele gibt es sowieso wie Sand am Meer.

HR soll wohl eher sowas wie Max Payne werden, eine "Film Noir" Geschichte mit viel Emotionen. Ein Movie-Spiel für Erwachsene.

QD hat doch in einem Interview vor ein paar Tagen bestätigt, dass das Spiel "real" werden soll und nichts "übernatürliches" usw. enthalten soll.
Glaube kaum, dass im Spiel Zombies vorkommen.
Solche Spiele gibt es sowieso wie Sand am Meer.

HR soll wohl eher sowas wie Max Payne werden, eine "Film Noir" Geschichte mit viel Emotionen. Ein Movie-Spiel für Erwachsene.
richtig. aber was Spannung und der gleichen angeht. Halt nur Silent Hill feeling ohne zombies oder sonst was^^

Naja ich denk mal wir wissen erst dann mehr wann die seite am 25.Juli wieder on geht.

quafy0.jpg
Könnte das Off sein der Seite etwas damit zu tun haben weiß da einer mehr?

Hmmm, das kann schon sein. Es ist allemal interessant, dass das genaue Datum bereits JETZT bekannt ist. Das muss dann eigentlich heißen, dass an diesem Tag was besonders stattfindet. Vielleicht eine Bekanntgabe?
Denn normalerweise arbeitet man eher an solchen Seiten mit der "When it´s done"-Mentalität... also so schnell wie möglich wieder online sein...

Zurück
Top Bottom